Welcome to Our Inn & Pub!
The Briar Lea Inn provides the charm, comfort and personal
attention you would expect from a quaint little inn, while
offering the amenities you might experience at a larger hotel.
Our Inn is located in a 160 year old fully renovated farmhouse.
Our rooms are well appointed and decorated with a casual and
eclectic antique décor, all with private baths and many additional
personal touches. We pay close attention to details and your needs,
while respecting your desire for privacy. Our goal is to ensure you
have a memorable and relaxing experience.
The Jolly Drayman Pub offers classic Pub Food and also British and Indian Specialties. We have a unique selection of beers on tap, by the bottle and also a superb selection of wines and spirits. Our Pub is the perfect place to pull up a pint and a stool. A place where friends meet friends – new and old.
Accolades. The Briar Lea Inn and the Jolly Drayman Pub have been recognized in Yankee Magazine’s “Best of New England” Special Edition. We have also been featured in Bon Appetit, DownEast, Mountain Life, and Backroads – Motorcycle Tour Magazine. Most recently, we have been included in Margaret Hathaway’s “Food Lovers’ Guide to Maine (Best Local Specialties, Markets, Recipes, Restaurants and Events). The Jolly Drayman Pub is AAA approved.
Overnight Accommodations for the Briar Lea Inn can be made via e-mail or telephone:
877.311.1299 (toll free)
Pub/Restaurant Open Daily at 5:00 pm
Dinner Reservations for the Jolly Drayman Pub can be made via the telephone:
877.311.1299 (toll free)
• One mile from the center of Bethel (a pleasant 15 minute trail walk)
• Five miles from Sunday River Ski/Golf Resort
• Six miles from Mt. Abram Ski Resort
• The New Hampshire border & Appalachian Trail are 20 miles away
• Mt. Washington is a short scenic 30 minute drive
In the Summer & Fall, very nearby, you can enjoy:
• Paddling a canoe or kayak
• Digging for gems
• Horseback Riding
• Biking or hiking – excellent trails
• Taking a fly fishing or moose safari guided tour
• Going tubing down a river or swimming in a nearby pond
• Or simply enjoying the peace of the mountains
In the Winter:
• Step out our back door; we are connected to an extensive trail system for cross-country skiing, snowshoeing & snowmobiling
• Spend the day on the slopes skiing, snowboarding or tubing (free shuttle services are available from our Inn to the slopes)
• Try something really exciting and different; consider dog sledding!
In its history, our farm house has gone through multiple changes. It originally was a family residence, and then became a general store. Years ago, the original front door of the store was found on the roadside wall with old writings still visible indicating bushels of corn sold to customers. In the 1920’s it became the Mayville Lodge, named after where it was located in the village of Bethel. Two rooms with a single shared bathroom were available for rent and meals were included. The Lodge housed visitors to the fairground, which was once located where the town airport, Colonel Dyke Field is
The Briar Lea Inn opened in 1994, after extensive renovations to the1850's post and beam constructed Georgian Farmhouse. The Inn consisted of six rooms and offered a delicious breakfast after a restful sleep. In 2005, an addition was made to the Inn, The Jolly Drayman Pub, to offer guests a unique dining and drinking experience similar to those found in British Country Pubs.
The name “Pub” is a shortened version of “Public House,” a place for social gatherings of friends to eat and drink. In England, the Drayman is the individual who drives the dray, or beer wagon. No wonder they are so jolly!
Today, both The Briar Lea Inn and the Jolly Drayman Pub reside in this historic farmhouse, providing the perfect offering of quality food and drink, an inviting atmosphere and unique ambiance – all creating the ideal setting for couples, friends and/or families.